Sunday 22 February 2009

Poems

I like to write poems, it's not a regular thing, but most enjoyable when I do. I love the challenge of economy with language, in expressing a mood, an occasion or, in this instance the pure pleasure of buying a new book. In this poem, I am imagining a newly published writers excitment in seeing their book on a shelf for the first time....something we can all relate to I am sure!

A new book

A glance up at shelves
laden with secrets and revelations,
turns her stomach upside down
with excitement and anticipation.

Her eyes dart back and forth
homing in on her chosen one -
the sleekest cover, a well shot
photo with appealing font.

An elegant hand at full stretch,
tips the cover forward,
parting those secrets from its sisters,
her fingers caress the stiff new pages.

She inhales, as the dry print
on virgin pages wafts past
her nostrils. Her closed lids part,
she smiles, exhales, and reads.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Jill for the link. I'm well impressed with the whole thing and I LOVE the poem. It really captures the mood. Well done and keep going!

    Gill Hickman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouragement, I need all that I can get!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the line about the "elegant hand". Well written poem with "elegant" wording throughout the lines!!

    ReplyDelete