Saturday 21 March 2009

Work work bizzy bizzy bang bang!!

I haven’t blogged for a while, been busy busy busy! So much is going on at work, loads of people are leaving (taking redundancy) or retiring (early retirement package) so it’s been a round of collections and cards, laughter and tears. The stalwarts of the organisation are leaving, and these are the people I grew up around, as I’ve been there since I left school at 16. It will seem so strange to watch a new bunch of people take over pivotal roles, and interesting to see how well they cope in such tough and demanding times. I have mixed feeling over this. Part of me says that it’s time for a younger bunch to take over, but another part of me is scared for them, I would not want to be in their shoes. Me? I am happy to come in and do a good job and go home again these days. I used to think I wanted to be a manager, but realised I cannot cope with some of the bullying and unfairness that goes on. I just take it all too personally and get too stressed! Life is too precious to let a silly thing like work make you ill. Been there, done that, and don’t want that T shirt any more! So it’s time to knuckle down and get on with what I want to do – my OU course, some writing here and there, and keep my head down until we know what is happening with our jobs!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, new times are a bit scary aren't they? I can sympathise about the bullying thing! I hope the change works out well for you. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jilly thank you for your kind comment. I'm on a four-day week now so I know what you are going through. I had made plans to finish work in 2years & 9 months time, but until we know one of us still have a job it looks as though I will still be working. I just hope I can start earning a bit more money from my writing. Good luck with your ou course.

    Best wishes,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's sad when the work environment changes so much. We've had a similar thing, although it was due to our company buying out other companies and growing from 28 to nearly 200 members of staff. Now the stalwarts have pretty much gone and it's a far different place to what I've been used to.

    Like you, I just want to do the best I can at my job, then go home to write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mandy, it's scary as I've worked for the same place (in different locations) for over 30 years now. The changes are coming thick and fast!!

    Annie - thanks for your comment and I hope your writing pays dividends for you very soon.

    Debs - That's a good philosophy to follow, I am sticking with it for the time being!! maybe some fantastic writing can come out of these troubles times!

    ReplyDelete