Thursday 14 May 2009

Holidays

We're off on holiday next week to Wales. But not just any old holiday. I am stupidly excited as it will be my third visit to the Hay on Wye literary festival. My friend Jane and I have been eagerly monitoring the website for months now, waiting for news about who is going to be appearing. In a bit of a frenzy some weeks ago we logged on to try & book to see some of our favourite authors, musicians and national treasures. What makes its special is its accessibility. The tickets are relatively cheap, you get to listen to someone you really admire for an hour or so, and then you can buy their book and get them to sign it in the bookshop afterwards if you want to. The place is just buzzing with excitement, everyone with a common love of literature and the Arts. Last year we came out of a session with Ian McKewan only to find our other halves sitting at one of the picnic benches having a chat with Terry Jones of Monty Python fame. What a lovely man!! After I had lifted my jaw off of the floor, we wandered over to say hello, and he offered me his seat (which is now my claim to fame!!). He had just finished doing a podcast for the radio, and had been chatting to my husband about Richard II's place in history, and how Maggie Thatcher may be seen a hundred years from now by comparison. As you do!! This year we are seeing Alan Bennett, Graham Swift, Kate Atkinson, Stephen Fry, Simon Armitage and Carol Ann Duffy to name but a few. Our friends are taking their 6 year old to see lots of children's authors such as Jacqueline Wilson and Julia Donaldson. Each year we say we'll have a break from it the following year, but the lure of the place is just too much......

1 comment: