Monday 12 October 2009

A new beginning?

Only 8 more days to go, until the biggest announcement our department has even had to make will be public knowledge. Years ago, a job in the Civil Service was described as "A job for life". The media often poked fun at us, with their caricatures of bowler hatted gents and supposed endless tea-making. Our department became an Agency many years ago, one that was self-financing and extremely efficient, making money for the Government. So, not such a drain on the tax-payer. It became a place that looked after it's staff well, and was a family-friendly environment. Most of the staff have worked there in excess of 10 years. I have worked in the department for 31 years! So it really feels like another family to me, despite my moans and groans from time to time. You see, the government want to make savings - and we are one of them. The conspiracy theories are rife at the moment - Chinese whispers have escalated into the hottest gossip in our office's history! All very unsettling. I lurch between "yeah great, redundancy might be a new opportunity" to "oh God, how on earth will we manage?" and "who on earth is going to employ me now?" After so long in one job, I cannot see what employer would want me. It's been over 20 years since I had an interview (for a promotion) - it is so scary. Maybe it's the kick up the backside I need to write. At the moment I am finding it impossible to get anything down (rants aside), I have a thick grey fug in my head instead of lots of beautiful words and ideas floating around. My brain is like the "pea-soupers" of the Smog age. I just need to know now. Hope the next week goes quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment